Current News Releases

Leavenworth woman ordered to repay $3,500 for Medicaid fraud

Release Date: Aug 18, 2022

TOPEKA – (August 18, 2022) – A Leavenworth woman has been ordered to pay more than $3,500 in restitution to the Kansas Medicaid program after pleading guilty to one count of Medicaid fraud, Kansas Attorney General Derek Schmidt said today.

Seunghee Lee, 61, of Leavenworth, was sentenced yesterday in Leavenworth County District Court by Judge Gerald R. Kuckleman on one count of making a false claim, statement or representation to the Medicaid program. Lee was sentenced to pay $3,519.44 in restitution to the Kansas Medicaid program, a $1,000 fine and to serve 12 months of supervised probation. Lee pleaded guilty to the charge on August 11.

An investigation found that Lee falsely billed the Medicaid program while serving as a personal care attendant for her mother-in-law who was a Medicaid beneficiary. Lee was submitting false claims as if she were providing home care for her mother-in-law, after her mother-in-law was hospitalized and had died.

The case was part of “Operation Keeping Them Honest,” a cooperative effort between the attorney general’s office and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services/Office of Inspector General to investigate fraudulent billing to Medicaid for personal care services provided in Medicaid beneficiaries’ homes. This sentencing brings to a close the first case in this joint effort to crack down on those who take advantage of these federal- and state-administered healthcare programs.

Other investigations are ongoing. The case are being jointly investigated by federal and state authorities and prosecuted by the attorney general’s Medicaid Fraud and Abuse Division. Senior Assistant Attorney General Eve Kemple of Schmidt’s office prosecuted the case against Lee.


The following statement about the Kansas Medicaid Fraud Control Unit is required by the federal government: The Medicaid Fraud and Abuse Division in the Attorney General’s Office receives 75 percent of its funding from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services under a grant award totaling $2,064,120 for Federal fiscal year (FFY) 2022. The remaining 25 percent, totaling $688,036 for FFY 2022, is funded by the Office of the Kansas Attorney General from moneys recovered in litigation.

Media & Resources

Menu

Search News Releases

NOTE: This will perform a Google search and display the results in a new tab/window.

News Release Archive

News releases issued prior to 2011 are available through an archive hosted by the Kansas State Library.