Information for Active Duty Military Personnel

Considerations before applying for a Kansas concealed carry handgun license (CCHL):

  • Effective July 1, 2015, persons who are 21 years of age or older may carry concealed firearms in Kansas without a license if they are lawful to possess firearms in general. This applies to active duty military personnel and their dependents.
  • A non-Kansas CCHL is valid in Kansas so long as the licensee is not a resident of Kansas and the CCHL is not expired, revoked, suspended or otherwise had arbitrary action taken against it by the issuing jurisdiction.Active duty military personnel and their dependents with valid non-resident driver’s licenses and a valid non-Kansas CCHL are lawful to continue carrying concealed in Kansas without a Kansas CCHL.

Considerations when applying for the Kansas CCHL:

Non-resident active duty military and their dependents residing in Kansas are eligible to apply for a Kansas CCHL.  While active duty military personnel and their dependents must attach a copy of their non-resident driver's license or state-issued ID card to their application, they do not have to surrender their non-resident driver's license or ID to Kansas.

It is important to point out that the Kansas CCHL is valid only while the licensee is a resident of this state or stationed in Kansas as active duty military or a dependent thereof.  Unless Kansas is the person’s home of record, active duty military personnel and their dependents with nonresident driver’s licenses must surrender their Kansas CCHL when relocating outside of this state.

Generally, applicants must complete the Kansas-required 8-hour training class, pay the fees and submit their application through the Sheriff in the county where they reside. Persons may qualify for an exemption from the Kansas training class if they have a valid CCHL from another jurisdiction and the training they used to obtain that non-Kansas CCHL meets or exceeds the training required by Kansas.  The applicant, whether active duty military or one of their dependents, must attach: (1) a copy of the valid non-Kansas CCHL to their application; (2) any documentation showing the contents of the training which was used to obtain that non-Kansas CCHL; and (3) certification that they successfully completed the non-Kansas training course.

Please call the Concealed Carry Licensing Unit at (785) 291-3765 if you have any questions concerning eligibility. You may also click here to send us an email through our online form.

Updated 07/2015

Concealed Carry