TOPEKA – (December 18, 2012) – Kansas Attorney General Derek Schmidt is reminding Kansans to use caution when donating to charities, especially during the holiday season. In a new public service announcement airing across Kansas, Schmidt offers a few tips to Kansans to make sure their donations go to a good cause.
“If charitable giving is part of your holiday tradition, please give wisely,” Schmidt said. “Unfortunately, scam artists often take advantage of people’s generosity, especially around the holidays.”
Schmidt offered these tips to make the most of your holiday donations:
- Consider supporting well-established, reputable charities.
- Request information in writing instead of giving over the phone. This allows you time to think about your donation and research the charity.
- Find out how much of the money raised is actually used for charitable purposes and how much will end up in the hands of the professional fundraiser.
- Do not be pressured into making a contribution or pledge.
- Be proactive with your giving, rather than simply responding to telephone or direct mail solicitations. Plan your holiday giving budget, and decide which charitable organizations you wish to support.
The public service announcement can be viewed on the Attorney General’s YouTube page at www.youtube.com/AGKansas. For more tips on how to keep your holiday donations safe, visit www.ag.ks.gov.