GREAT BEND − (December 7, 2018) – Three individuals have been charged with capital murder in connection with two deaths in July in Barton County, Attorney General Derek Schmidt said. Two other individuals are charged with related crimes.
Schmidt filed criminal charges against Kimberly Younger, 52, McIntosh, Fla.; Michael Fowler, Jr., 54, Sarasota, Fla.; Rusty Frasier, 35, Aransas Pass, Tex.; Christine Tenney, 38, Santa Fe, Tex.; and Thomas Drake, 31, Van Buren, Ark. The charges are in connection with the deaths of Alfred “Sonny” Carpenter and Pauline Carpenter, both of Wichita, at the Barton County Fair in July.
The charges were filed yesterday and arrest warrants executed today.
The most serious charges against the individuals are as follows:
- Younger is charged with one count of capital murder, one count of conspiracy to commit murder, one count of criminal solicitation and one count of theft. Bond has been set at $1 million. The Younger complaint is available at https://bit.ly/2Ebm3PQ
- Fowler is charged with one count of capital murder and one count of theft. Bond has been set at $1 million. The Fowler complaint is available at https://bit.ly/2BWAXbg
- Frasier is charged with one count of capital murder. Bond has been set at $1 million. The Frasier complaint is available at https://bit.ly/2RCVzuM
- Tenney is charged with three counts of obstructing apprehension. Bond has been set at $10,000. The Tenney complaint is available at https://bit.ly/2GimrPB
- Drake is charged with three counts of obstructing apprehension. Bond has been set at $10,000. The Drake complaint is available at https://bit.ly/2E5OGOG
Related charges can be found in the complaints. The defendants are in custody in Crawford County, Ark., pending extradition. Criminal charges are merely accusations. All individuals are presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty.
Any public comments on the prosecutions are governed by the Kansas Rules of Professional Conduct Rule 3.6, Trial Publicity, and Rule 3.8, Special Responsibilities of a Prosecutor. All media requests or inquiries should be directed to the Office of the Attorney General, 120 S.W. 10th Ave., 2nd Floor, Topeka, Kansas 66612 or (785) 296-6115.
No additional information is available at this time.